Sources of Funding

There are two principal forms of support for graduate students: fellowships (internal and external) and teaching assistantships.

The other forms of financial support include research assistantships (at times through the work-study program) and readerships. A limited number of Summer Sessions courses for which the student is the instructor of record are available for those who have completed a Master's degree. Graduate Research Fellowships (block grant) are distributed by the department. Faculty members assist the students in applying for external fellowships (e.g., Boren, Charlotte Newcombe, Fulbright, Fulbight-Hayes, Leakey Foundation, National Science Foundation, Pacific Rim Social Science Research Council, Wenner Gren).