Answers to frequently asked questions about the undergraduate program in the UC Davis Department of Anthropology.


Can I take courses for the anthropology major on a pass/non-pass basis?

All anthropology students must follow the general pass/no pass (P/NP) unit limitation guidelines as set by the College of Letters and Science. However, the department advises students to take no
more than one or two P/NP courses within the anthropology major, because taking multiple classes P/NP can possibly have a detrimental effect on the students' career and professional goals. You also must comply with the limits set for the campus: you may enroll on a pass/non-pass basis for no more than one-third of your total units taken at UC Davis. Students considering taking more than two courses P/NP should consult a faculty advisor before doing so.

Do I need to complete the "preparatory subject matter" (lower-division courses) before I can take upper-division anthropology courses?

Courses may be taken in any order, but be sure to check the online General Catalog course list for prerequisites.

Do graduate courses count toward the major?

Some can, but ask the instructor before enrolling, to determine whether you are prepared for the course. Also, be aware that graduate courses do not count toward the College of Letters and Science unit requirements for upper-division courses. These requirements are especially crucial for community college transfer students with 10 or more transferred units. In general, we recommend petitioning to receive upper-division credit for the course.

Do courses that are used to satisfy the GE requirements count toward the major?


Academic Planning

How do I make an academic plan?

Students are strongly advised to draft an academic plan for an advisor's review prior to coming in for advising. You can submit or save a draft of an academic plan under the Forms & Petitions tab in the Online Advising Student Information System (OASIS).

How will I be affected if major requirements change after I have enrolled?

You have the right to complete the requirements listed in the General Catalog at the time you entered the university. If, however, you choose to complete the revised requirements instead, you may do so.

How do I declare a major in the Department of Anthropology?

A student must complete one ANT course with a grade of “C” or better in order to declare a major in anthropology. If you have fulfilled this requirement, please make an appointment with one of the department undergraduate advisors to complete the necessary paperwork to officially change into the major.

How can I declare a double major?

First, meet with the undergraduate academic advisors for both major programs to make certain you can satisfy the conditions to petition for a double major. You may submit a petition online through the student portal. At the top left, select "Academics," then choose "Student Advising" and within that area, select "Forms & Petitions." 


Can courses I took at a community college or another university satisfy UC Davis anthropology major requirements?

Yes, but only if the course is substantially similar to a UC Davis anthropology course. Some courses may not be equivalent to those taught at UC Davis. Even though your community college (CC) course that has transferred has the same name as a UC Davis course, do not assume that it counts toward the anthropology major. Contact an advisor for approval. You also may check the ASSIST (Articulation System Stimulating Interinstitutional Student Transfer) to identify equivalency between community college and UC Davis anthropology courses. The abbreviation "ANT" designates courses in the Department of Anthropology.

Can courses taken in another country be applied toward the major at UC Davis?

The acceptability of courses taken elsewhere depends on how closely they parallel the content of courses within the UC Davis Department of Anthropology. You should consult with the major advisor to determine in advance of your departure overseas which courses taken abroad would be suitable for your major at UC Davis.

Anthropology Minor

Can courses I took at community college be used to satisfy the minor?

Yes, but only under certain conditions. Consult ASSIST (Articulation System Stimulating Interinstitutional Student Transfer) to identify equivalency between community college and UC Davis anthropology courses.

How and when should I file for the minor?

Forms are available only from your college office. They require signature of both the major advisor and the minor advisor. Substitutions for listed courses may be made only through petition to the Dean's Office, signed by the minor advisor. Therefore, you should file only when you either have completed all the listed courses or are certain that you will. The last date for filing is the end of the second week of instruction in the quarter of graduation.

Do courses used to satisfy the GE requirements count toward the minor?


Can I take courses for the minor on pass/non-pass basis?

Yes, up to any limits set by your college. If you are thinking about taking a course on this basis, please see the minor advisor about how it will look on your transcript.

What if I have other questions?